Part II Vocabulary
Directions: In this section there are ten incomplete sentences, each of which has a blank. Four words or phrases, marked A, B, C and D, are given beneath each sentence. Choose the word or phrase that best completes the sentence, and then mark the letter of your choice on the ANSWER SHEET.
31. It is believed that the Black Death, rampant in the Medieval Europe _______, killed 1/3 of its population.
A. at large
B. at random
C. on end
D. on average
32. HIV and AIDS may threaten the fundamental values of society, and any attempt to deal with them presents a _______ challenge.
33. Nature never ceases to surprise us. Molecules with ______ structures and properties turn up in the laboratory all the time.
34. ________ is a branch of medical sciences focusing on the cause of a disease.
35. The WHO remains the only organization ________ to health for all, regardless of wealth.
36. In the United States alone, cancer ________ a thousand lives a day.
37. There are many dangers ________ in the operation of the highly technical services that a hospital provides.
38. The brain centers that process numbers seem to be different for exact and ________ calculations.
39. Treatment of persons with viral infection is supportive and utilizes the patient's own inner body defenses to ________ recovery.
40. I could just see a car in the distance, but I couldn't _______ what color it was.
A. make out
B. make off
C. make for
D. make up
Directions: In this section there are ten sentences, each of which has a word/phrase underlined. There are four words or phrases marked A, B, C and D beneath each sentence. Choose the one that would best keep the meaning of the original sentence if it were substituted for the underlined part, and then mark the letter of your choice on the ANSWER SHEET.
41. Up to 30 percent of all deaths from coronary heart disease can be attributedto cigarette smoking.
42. Life in technologically advanced societies has additional perils.
43. Obesity is a condition perpetuated by a diversityof factors.
44. Abandon fat diets and heedyour body's hunger cues.
A. go in for
B. put up with
C. pay attention to
D. get rid of
45. Health is an economic and political asset.
46. This growth in the morbidityof diabetes is due, in part, to an increase in obesity.
47. Experts cautionthat no matter which method patients choose, they may need to wear eye glasses again one day—at least for reading.
48. These techniques were appliedover the centuries.
49. Babies need to be held and soothedwhen they are disturbed or hurt.
50. High blood glucoseis a typical symptom of both type l diabetes and of type 2 diabetes.
31. A 32. A 33. C 34. D 35. C
36. B 37. A. 38. C 39. D 40. A
41. D 42. C 43. D 44. C 45. A
46. C 47. C 48. A 49. B 50. A